On April 24, 2013, the Rana Plaza tragedy killed over 1,100 garment workers in Bangladesh and wounded over 2,200 more. The incident left consumers all over the world questioning who makes the clothes we wear everyday and in what kind of conditions? Documentaries like The True Cost shine a light on how the fast fashion industry depletes the earth’s resources and leverages slave labor to pass on a "cheap" cost to the end consumer.
At Deivee we are conscious about uplifting the lives of people who make these clothes for you. Be it the farmers or the factory workers. Its consumers like you who support this move towards ethical and conscious clothing that is making all the difference in the world.
Fairtrade is about better prices, decent working conditions, local sustainability, and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the developing world.
By requiring companies to pay sustainable prices (which must never fall lower than the market price), fair trade addresses the injustices of conventional trade, which traditionally discriminates against the poorest, weakest producers. It enables them to improve their position and have more control over their lives.
Deivee uses 100% fair trade certified cotton, as certified by Fairtrade India and the benefits are:
1. The fair trade guaranteed minimum price covers the costs of production and provides a sustainable livelihood for cotton producers.
2. The fair trade premium enables co-operatives to fund projects that benefit the organisation and wider community: business and agricultural training; drilling bore holes for clean water; building schools and clinics.
3. Fair Trade delivers more money to the people who produce your clothing.
4. Empowerment and equal rights are at the heart of Fair Trade, with an emphasis on supporting women.
5. You’re not just improving lives, you’re protecting the environment.
6. In Fair Trade certified factories, worker satisfaction is high and turnover is low.
In fact our founders Milind Soman & Darshan M have personally visited the factories and shared a meal with the factory workers (yes the factory serves hot meals to all its workers).
At Deivee we thank you for making this conscious choice to improve the lives of the people who make your clothes.