Remember how many fitness enthusiasts have busted myths about carbs being bad for you? Well, they are not as bad as some of us think they are! We have already mentioned in our earlier post about carbs being an integral part of your daily diet, but, we do have good and bad carbs! Let’s focus on the ones to eat, and the ones that need to be avoided. Remember, we always use the word ‘avoid’ in diet. Any portion that is small cannot be harmful. You binge, and that’s when you see the bad changes in your body.
There are two forms of carbohydrates; sugar (fructose, glucose, and lactose) and starch (found in vegetables, grains, rice, bread, and cereals). Now, we know that carbohydrates are an essential part of our daily diet. But, we need to learn to differentiate between good and bad carbs for the body. So, how do you differentiate? We have listed some of the pros and cons along with what to eat, and what to avoid in carbs. Read on!
- Carbs that are rich in fibre get absorbed slowly by the system. Hence, there is no spike in the blood sugar level, and it’s safe for the body. Some of the best carbs that your body needs are fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans.
- It is also important for you to note that whole grains are the preferred good carbs. Eat a whole orange instead of orange juice or vitamin water. If carbs are more processed and refined, the nutrient factor is reduced.
- Most of the brown breads available in the stores are not made of whole wheat. Make sure to read the nutrient factors in it along with the ingredients.
- Brown rice and whole wheat pasta is good for your waistline compared to white rice and white pasta for all the reasons!
- Good carbs are low in saturated fat, sodium, cholesterol and trans fat. They are filled with nutrients unlike the bad carbs.
- Bad carbs like French fries, white breads, white rice, white pasta, fruit juices are high in sugar, fat, salt and are refined.
Choosing the right food for your diet, and a changed pattern in the food intake which includes good carbs and healthy foods has multiple benefits. Your metabolism and digestion increases, the bad fats in your body will start reducing slowly with good physical activity, and your skin will start to glow.
Remember, carbs are not the main reason for obesity, blame the bad carbs and bad fatty foods. Stay healthy, stay happy!